Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Nesting: Fact or Fiction

Nesting: the uncontrollable urge to clean one’s house brought on by a desire to prepare a nest for the new baby, to tie up loose ends of old projects and to organize your world.


I have recently been bitten by the “nesting” bug in a huge way. I can feel time is ticking away and Baby H will be here before we know it and I have a million things that are piling up and I am anxious to get done around the house like re-organizing the kitchen, cleaning the carpets, dusting everything, and trying to get all the baby stuff organized and ready. When I do start to clean and organize, everything takes me double the time and I feel like I can’t get through all the necessary things that need to be accomplished prior to the baby arriving, and I am left feeling unaccomplished. After feeling this way several times I started to ponder the whole concept of “nesting” Is this something that naturally happens to all pregnant women? Is it hormonal or is it something that has been conjured up in our heads over many years from other pregnant women? In my opinion it is a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B. I think it is instinctual to want things ready for your little one, but I do think the concept of nesting has grown tremendously over the years and has become a “hot” topic among pregnant women, pregnancy blogs, websites, and forums. Is the baby really going to care if the junk drawer is organized or is it more important that mom and dad are rested, de-stressed, and connected for baby? I think I will go with the later and hope it is awhile before baby see’s the junk drawer.

No comments: